Monday, February 1, 2010

Milestone Monday


You never realize how true it is when people say "They grow up so fast," until you are living it.

We got Halle a highchair yesterday because she's been sitting up so well, and we thought we'd give it a try tonight.

Low and behold, she loves it!

I started giving her rice cereal about 3 weeks ago but haven't been really consistent with it. She sleeps fine without it and I just didn't know that she needed it. However, she's in the 12th percentile for her weight so I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep on with it and my mom says she needs it to get ready to start more foods in a few weeks. After about a week and a half without any, tonight she did very well opening her mouth and actually swallowing most of it as opposed to spitting it all out.

Everytime she opened her mouth and swallowed it, I would clap and say "YEAH!" Postive reinforcement, people :) It works!

Okay, so I need some advice from my Mommy friends out there. Most books I've read have said to start babies on rice cereal at 4-6 months and then start them on other foods gradually. At her 4 month appointment Halle's pedi said I could go ahead and give her applesauce now, and while I love her pedi, I don't think I'm going to do that just yet. I think it's mostly a "to each their own" kinda thing, so I want to know what you did with your kids and I'd like your opinion on the matter! While I'm curious to see how she'll like the applesauce, I want to do what is best for her little tummy. Thank ya!



Oh, and Happy February!!
EDITED TO ADD: P.S. I just realized Halle has the same highchair as Harper!

6 comments:

  1. She looks so grown up in that cute high chair!

    With Peter we started rice at 4 months and started adding in a veggie or fruit about every other week starting at 4.5 months.

    With Aaron he was exclusively breastfed until 6 months old before he had his first taste of rice or anything else.

    With a hypothetical baby #3, I would wait till 6 months again. Aaron was much less messy because he was actually eating the food instead of mostly pushing it back out with his tongue like Peter. It saved us money to wait until 6 months to start buying baby food. Aaron's poop didn't stink until 6 months (too bad the odorless breastfed poop can't last when you introduce solids). And of my two kids, Peter is WAY MORE of a picky eater. Of course, that could just be his personality and have nothing to do with when and how he was introduced to solids.

    So, there's my experiences. Just do what feels right for you and your little girl. After all, mama knows best. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that high chair! Logan started eating solids at 4 months, and Riley started at 3.5 she was wanting more and diffrent things. It's really strange now because now that she can choose she is way more picky than Logan ever was, she's def. my picky eater:-) Riley is in the 25-50% for her weight but she eats like a horse so it really just depends on the child and on how mom feels too! Either way your choice is what's right:-) I need to bring you that shoe and exer saucer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is just so stinkin' cute! I'm glad she can have a Valentine card. ;)
    We waited until Quade was 6 months before starting any cereal or anything. He was nursing so well, and doing just fine without it. I read alot of research that said how their guts are still so immature until that 6 month time. Even if they are showing interest in eating while the parents eat, that wasn't necessarily a sign that they were ready. So, we just waited. Their poops get so nasty once they start eating solids, too! So unless there is some sort of medical need for them, enjoy those BF poops while they last. ;)
    I would be leery about applesauce as a first food, too. Only because it's fairly acidic and might cause her little bottom to be raw. That's what happened with us with apple juice. We had to switch to pear until Q was about 11 months or so. One thing you might consider doing...get one of those fresh food mesh feeder things. You can stick a piece of frozen banana or pear in there and let her get a taste of things. One other thing, stick with mostly veggies when you get her going on solids. They develop a taste for fruit and sweet starches SO quick, that often veggies can be a problem. My sister did that and for months the only thing she would eat were peaches mixed with oatmeal.

    It took me FOREVER to explain to B that babies don't have a choice about what they're eating. They don't need a "dessert" like adults think they do, and we don't have to flavor their food so that they can like it. If you start them out eating something, they'll get used to it. We have plenty o' years to battle their taste buds as they turn into toddlers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I with you on the not believing the whole "They grow up so fast" thing until I was in those shoes, lol! It truly is amazing just how fast they do grow!

    I think we started Zane on rice cereal about 2/2.5 months... the formula just wasn't cutting it for him. We started him on baby food around 3.5 months.. we just started with the banana's first.. and only giving him about half a jar at a time for the first I think 2 weeks. Then we started giving him the whole jar at dinner time for about a week or two before he was eating it all his meals. Once he seemed to have the banana's pretty good we started introducing diff foods.

    It really does vary from baby to baby and def only do what you are comfy with. :) My next prob won't be the same as Zane... btw.. lol.. he's in like the 75% for his age :) Hope that helped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was told to wait until 6 months because their digestive systems just aren't ready for solids until then.

    Also, my pediatrician told me to start with green vegetables, then orange veggies, and then fruit. He said that if I started with fruit she wouldn't take to the veggies very well. I'm sure every baby is different, and ultimately it's up to you, but it worked for me and I have an excellent eater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think i gave kennedy rice ceral at 5wks...oops...lol! she was eating every hour and i NEEDED sleep!! lol!!
    but baby food i started at 4 months! i think it's safe to start now but you're her mommy and i do believe mommies know best so when you think halle is ready she will be! start slow and small amounts and she will do great and i KNOW you will too!!

    ReplyDelete