Friday, July 10, 2009

My Morning in Labor & Delivery

What a morning!

Well, everything actually started earlier this week when I went to the doctor because I thought I might have a UTI. Wednesday they said I had some microscopic blood in my urine so they gave me some meds and sent me home. No biggie. Then last night around 7 I started feeling really crampy, almost like AF were about to show. I called my mom to ask if what I was feeling were contractions. We decided probably not and I went to bed around 11. I kept waking up to go to the bathroom (of course) and I felt very very sore on the underside of my belly. This morning when I woke up and went to the bathroom, I wiped and saw a streak of red blood. The next time I went to the bathroom, same thing. I've never had a UTI before so I don't know what's involved and what's not, I just know I don't want to see blood! So I called the doctor and they wanted me to come in for an ultrasound.

Hal was out of town so my mom went with me and I went in for the ultrasound and everything looked really good; cervix, placenta, fluid level, and Halle's heartbeat was great although they confirmed she is breech. She also said she has long eyelashes and lots of hair to go with those chubby cheeks and button nose :)

I still had to see the doctor and even though they were 95% sure the bleeding was b/c of the UTI, he decided to do an exam anyway. I was SO against that because I was afraid of bleeding anymore. He assured me I wouldn't! (Not my usual doctor btw...)

That exam hurt so bad! I told my mom it hurt so bad I thought I would probably bleed. When he left, I wiped with a tissue and nothing. Then he wanted me on a monitor for 30 minutes but the wait in the office was 2 hours. He sent me downstairs to L&D where I had to leave another urine sample. At that point, I was feeling sure everything was fine and even telling my mom that all of this was overkill. Then when I peed it was RED!

I've never had anything like that before. I sat there for 2 hours with the monitor and it turned out I was having some minor contractions but nothing regular. They chalked the cramping last night and the soreness today up to RLP and the bleeding to the UTI and the exam (which I still think was uncalled for).

Aside from being scared I can't complain too much about the NST monitor because it was nice getting to listen to Halle's heartbeat and hear her swishing all around. She was being a little booger kicking the monitor, punching it, and probably even head-butting it! I'm on bedrest for the weekend but we are home and fine, just pretty tired. Please pray for no more blood because I hate seeing it!


1 comment: