Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Halle is 1!


I can't believe our baby is 1! This year has flown by, but I am SO happy to be able to say that we have soaked it in and have enjoyed every single moment with her. She is a mess ya'll!

Sweet 1 year old Halle~

Your story began long before September 15, 2009. It even began long before July 2007 when your Daddy and I decided to add a little munchkin to our family. God knew you and knew exactly when the right time was for you to show up in our lives, and life has never been the same since! I could've never imagined how much brighter and joyful our lives would become when we found out we were having you, and then when you were born. You bring so much more meaning to our lives! I remember the morning I found out I was pregnant with you so vividly. I can even still "feel" the shock... I just sat down and cried the most happy tears... and then your Daddy called.

"Did you take the test?"

"Yes."

"Well???"

"Yes."

"YES??!"

"Yes!"

That's how the first part of the conversation went!

I remember every blood draw, every doctor's appointment (planned and improptu). I remember the first time I felt 3 small thumps, and I knew it was our baby letting me know he/she was in there and growing strong. I remember talking to you in the mornings on my drive into work, and BOY do I remember being so sick in those first few months that I could barely hold my head up.

I remember the first time I threw up... I did a little cheer because I knew morning sickness was a "good sign"! I remember my feet swelling and people saying "You must be miserable!" I would tell them "You have no idea how UNmiserable I am!" I so enjoyed being pregnant with you and enjoying "our time" together.

And I remember finding out you were breech and being told "Oh don't worry, she has plenty of time to turn!" And then being told "Well, it looks like you'll be having a c-section. This little one isn't going to budge!" I remember picking September 15th as the day you would be born, and I was a little sad that we had to "pick" your birthday. I really just wanted it to "happen". Then one day I was in the meat store and got a call saying that they realized they were too busy on the 15th and moved the c-section to Thursday the 17th. Your Daddy was upset and told me to ask to PLEASE change it back to the 15th! I told him if you needed 2 more days in my belly, then 2 more days you would have.

Turns out you did NOT need those extra 2 days because you decided you wanted out in the 15th! I remember that day seriously, like it was last week; Every stop I made while running errands, the people's faces who helped me that day, and the outfits I bought you, all the while having no clue that I would get to meet you that same day! I got home around 3 and made myself a salad for a late lunch. Then at 4 I had a hankering for some cookies. (Nothing new there...) At 5 your Daddy was banging on the laundry room door because I had accidentally locked him out so I got up to run and let him in and my water broke! It was one of the most sensational feelings, I can't even describe it.

I remember being ECSTATIC that we weren't actually the ones who picked your birthday! I was excited the whole way to the hospital and while they were getting me all hooked up to the monitors. I kept wondering when I would get nervous. At 10 pm I started on my way to the OR and I STILL wasn't nervous!

I remember the cold OR room, and the nurses' faces clearly. I remember climbing up on the table and waiting for my spinal, but I actually don't remember feeling anything. I guess that's a good thing! I remember feeling very shaky and one of the nurses telling me my heartrate was at 140 and asking me if I was ok. I told her I was, I have a high resting heartrate and besides, I was just excited to meet my baby girl!

Then they laid me back and made sure I was numb from my chest down and just as the doctor made the incision, your Daddy came in. There was a lot of tugging and pulling; After all, you had wedged yourself up in my ribs pretty good! Then one foot came out, but had to go back in because the other one couldn't come out. 2 feet, then your little hiney, and then the rest of you and your arms were spread out like "Look out world! Halle Grace is here!" I remember little things the doctor and nurses were saying... One nurse said "Look at that cutie little booty... Daddy's going to have a hard time keeping the boys away!" And the doctor said "Cord once, cord twice..." I never did ask but I'm pretty sure that meant the cord was around your neck twice but it wasn't tight.

They took you and wrapped you up tight like a little baby burrito and brought you to me and pressed your face to mine. It was THE sweetest moment of my life!

I still love to press your cheek to mine, and rub my nose on your cheek. I feel like a Mama Bear nuzzling her cub, but I just tell myself that one day you'll be took big for me to rock to sleep and carry to bed so I rock you and then rock some more even after you're asleep, just for some extra cuddle time.

You look so much like a "big kid" now, but still a baby too. I love to listen to you chitter chatter and play with your toys. I sit back and just watch you play and wonder what you're thinking in that cute little head of yours :)

You are 21 lbs and wear a size 4 diaper. They're a little big, but I felt the 3's were getting a little snug. You've been walking for less than a month, and you are a Pro girlfriend! We are feeding you less and less baby food and more "grown up food" and letting you feed yourself. Tonight you had some green beans (whole/cut ones) for the first time and some small pieces of chicken and cake of course!

You give kisses and hugs, and when you reach for me and pull me close for a hug, my heart melts.You talk on the phone (mostly to your Dada), chase Charlie, watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, dance, play on your farm, and read books. You LOVE books and I LOVE that you do! You will go into your room, pull books off the shelf, sit down and look through the pages. I always had a deep love for reading and I pray you do as well.

Halle, I hope you always know and never question our love for you. God has entrusted you to us while we are here on this Earth, and we are so blessed and thankful for that. We love you more than you will ever know! Happy Happy Birthday, and MANY more!

Love Always,
Mommy and Daddy

5 comments:

  1. This post made me teary eyed! Happy birthday Halle. You are one blessed little girl to have such wonderful parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious!!! I remember waiting on the texts and phone calls that day. So sweet, we love that Halle all the way from Okie land!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe how big she is!! And beautiful too!
    One year....wow!
    Happy Birthday Halle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday sweet girl. She's gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy bday sweet halle!
    goodness time flies!!

    ReplyDelete