This might be a boring post for some (OR you just might be happy/surprised to see something new posted!) but I need to get this info in writing before I forget...
My girl likes peas!!
I'm astounded.
I don't even like peas.
Valentine's Day, 1 day shy of 5 months, I started her on baby food; Organic applesauce to be exact. Just a little bit, to see how she did and how her little tummy handled it. Straight A's on all accounts! For a week I just gave her maybe half a little jar mixed with her rice cereal to get her to eat it. I've read that babies don't "like" or "dislike" foods because they don't have a "palate" yet to compare different foods to. Well, I slightly disagree... (I know, like I'm a Miss Smartypants or something right?) It just seems to me that breastmilk is sweet and NO I haven't tasted it. But, I have smelled it, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it is sweet... On top of that, I KNOW I've been told that your breastmilk, much like amniotic fluid, takes on the "taste" of whatever Mommy eats. Hate to break it to ya folks, but Mommy likes sweets!
All of that said, I don't think Halle liked the rice cereal. I could never get her to open her mouth so my Mom suggested trying the applesauce and then mixing it with the rice cereal to see if she liked that better. Success!
After a week of just the applesauce, I decided to try peas (Feb 21st). For 2 days I tried to get her to eat some and it was a no-go. Everyone I talked to said their baby didn't like peas either... (including my Mom)... What can you do? So I kinda gave up on those and tried sweet potatoes instead. (Feb 23rd). The sweet potatoes were a huge hit! She LOVES them. For the first time she was opening her mouth wide and grunting for me to hurry up and give her more.
2 days ago (March 3rd) I decided to try the peas again because I really wanted her to eat a green veggie. I figured she'd shoot them down again but I was pleasantly surprised! I don't know what happened but all of a sudden she liked them. Now, I'm well aware she could decide at any point that she doesn't like them again, but for now Mommy's a happy camper :)
Yesterday (March 4th) I decided to try a new fruit so she didn't get so hung up on the apples.
We decided to...
Go Bananas!
Can I just say that it's weird that bananas are like, pink, in the jar? Weird!
We tried a bit of those yesterday morning, and she liked them but she wasn't crazy about them... and I could tell she was trying to figure them out... Tried a bit more this morning because whenever we try a new food I want to do it early in the day in case she has some sort of reaction to it. Since she did well with them yesterday and today I mixed her rice cereal with bananas tonight instead of apples and she just went right on with the flow :)
Basically, our food routine is a half a jar of apples or bananas mixed with *maybe* a 1/4 cup of rice cereal, and then a 1/2 of a jar of a veggie, which currently is either peas or sweet potatoes.
Right now I'm feeding her Earth's Best Organic & Gerber Organic Stage 1 foods even though I'm still planning on making her food myself. I just don't have a food processor at the moment and since she's eating very little while we're trying things out, I think that's the best way to go without a waste. If you make your baby's food, I'd love some tips!
I've been told to just stop with the organics right now and save some money because we don't eat all organics so she (in the long run) won't eat all organics. The biggest reason for doing the organics right now is because of the sugars and preservatives that go into jarred baby food. And who knows? Maybe we will eventually make the move to organic meats and veggies ourselves.
Whether we do or not, and whether my thinking on that is right on or far off, I'm only doing the best I know how... that's all any of us can do right?
Whew. Okay, got a little on my soapbox tonight and all I wanted to do was talk about my baby loving her some peas!! :P

P.S. After the picture above was taken, she needed a bath to remove green peas from her neck...
Josiah doesn't seem to care about one food over another. He just eats anything we put in his mouth. He's had breastmilk, formula, green beans, peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, bananas, pears, applesauce, and apricots with mix fruits. I will say that the bananas are gross smelling! I've considered just giving Josiah real bananas mashed up because it grosses me out. I think it's because of the acid in it that preserves it.
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about what other people say. I don't use organic food because we don't eat organically, but you should do what you know to be best for YOUR baby. I decided long ago to quit worry about everyone else's opinion on breastfeeding, formula, diapers, sleep, everything. Advice is one thing, but you should do what you know is best.
Halle is adorable!
I agree with the above... don't worry so much about what others say you should do.. trust me you'll kick yourself later.
ReplyDeleteAnyways.. about the making of the food. I had a friend that was doing it and I was going to start (didn't sooner because I just didn't know how) but anyways... she would cook the veges and then put them in the blender or whatever.. and she then put them into ice cube trays and frozen them... this way she could just take one day and make all the fruits and veges. She would then take the food out of the trays once they were frozen and put them in the freezer ziplocks and just mark what they were on the bag. At night before going to bed she would take out what veggies she wanted for the following day. Worked pretty well for her.. wishing I had done it with Zane.. oh well... I will with the next one :) If you decided to do that let me know.. I have ice cube trays you can have (never opened) that I was going to use.
As for you and Hal starting organic.. Dean and I started about 2 weeks ago.. the only thing about it is the drive you have to make to get the organic food... which I only go once a week.. and then use Publix (they have a small organic selection) if we need anything before the next trip. We can feel a difference in the way we feel just by changing our diet to organic. But just do what you feel is right for you.. Eating all organic is a big step :)
Didn't mean for that to get so long, lol. But hope that helped... esp with the making of the food!
Q-boy loved peas, too! I think it's because they're naturally a high sugar veggie. Veggies like carrots, peas, and sweet potatoes have a very high amount of naturally occurring sugars, and um, yes our babies have Momma's who LOOOOOVE sugar. ;) Green beans took much more persuasion. Now he eats all kinds of veggies. Mashed avocado was always a favorite! High in good fats and proteins. And yes, do what is best for your family. I've learned everyone will have an opinion, even myself, and everyone likes to share their opinion (hmm, even myself...) but just because someone shares their opinion doesn't mean you have to do what they say. Thank the good Lord.
ReplyDeleteWe're trying to eat more organic ourselves. We have a co-op we can buy produce through, which makes it a lot easier and cheaper. For instance, I was able to get organic broccoli for 1.49 for two huge heads. That's ridiculously cheap. We mostly try to eat organic the things that are typically high in pesticides. Such as potatoes, apples, carrots, etc. Things you're more apt to eat the skins of. I don't worry so much about citrus fruits, because you peel them. I'm so ready to butcher our own steer, because store bought meat is something I hate. I'm ready for our own natural, no hormone added beef. Anywho...working on that story today ;)