Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Halle's Birth Story



Tuesday morning I got up early (early for me lately anyway) and got out of the house around 9:30am. I had some errands to run and things to get done before our scheduled c-section on Thursday the 17th. I headed to Target at the Town Center first thing and I was just going to grab a pumpkin spice latte because I had a coupon for $2 off the Starbucks inside Target. (YUM!) I ended up making my way back to the baby section (of course) and found Halle a cute Fall outfit. Then I got my latte and was on my way. My next stop was Babies R Us to finish getting some things off our registry. I had to get the Graco SnugRide Snap-n-Go Stroller, an extra carseat base, pad for the changing table, some pack-n-play sheets, and I found a cutie pair of baby jeans. Next I went to Michaels just to see if they had anything that caught my eye. I ended up getting a big matted frame for Halle’s nursery. I can’t wait to put a gorgeous picture of her in it! Then I was off to Wal-Mart for some Lysol, Germ-X, and more thank you notes. I also made a stop by Home Depot and the bank before making it home by 2:30. I thought I made pretty good time considering my commute to town is 45 minutes each way and I was only gone for about 5 hours. I got my errands done and I didn’t even rush. I really was taking it easy.

When I got home I wasn’t too hungry so I made myself a salad and ate it at 3:00. Then about 4:00 I had some cookies. Hal called and was on his way home and he was really hungry so we called in a takeout order from St Johns Seafood. I did NOT feel like cooking. He stopped by the house to get my card about 4:45 because his wallet was stolen last weekend and we had to cancel his card. I was laying on the loveseat when I heard the garage door open and all of a sudden I heard him banging on the door. I had locked him out!! I quickly got up and rushed to the back door which is through our kitchen and as soon as I hit the linoleum I felt *something*. By the time I made it to the laundry room and opened the door, I was standing spread eagle and water was GUSHING down my legs!! He and I just stared at each other and I said something to the effect of “My water just broke” or “I think my water just broke” although I KNEW my water had broke!! Hal said “I guess she really wanted to come on the 15th after all!” (Our c-section was originally scheduled for the 15th and the doctor’s office changed it to the 17th saying they were too full that day.)

He ran to take a quick shower while I started calling the doctor and my neighbor to help me finish packing my bag. I pretty much had everything together except my clothes but I had taken everything out and laid it on the guest bed to “assess” everything. So she ran over and shoved everything back in my bag while I stood in the laundry room still gushing for about 10 minutes. We made it out of the house about 5:45 I believe and were at the hospital by 6:30. The contractions started at 6:00 but they weren’t bad at all. They were slowly getting stronger but they weren’t anything I couldn’t handle. I’ve always had bad cramps and that’s what they felt like.

We got to a room and they started hooking me up and I started signing papers. Our families were there and we were so excited! We just kept telling everyone how it happened. I had told Hal on the way that I was SO HAPPY that things happened like they did. Although I had gotten used to the idea of having a scheduled c-section, and I knew that was the best and healthiest way for Halle to arrive since she was breech, I was still sad about what I’d be missing out on. It was 8:00pm when my nurse came in to tell me they would be taking me back to deliver our little girl at 10:00 pm… just 2 hours! She checked me shortly after that to see if I had progressed any and she said I was between a 0 and a 1 but she said “Yep, she’s definitely breech… I can feel her foot!”

At 9:50 we headed back and Hal started getting his scrubs on. Walking to the OR I was still thinking to myself “When am I going to get nervous?” Being in the OR without Hal was when I first felt like some anxious tears might fall but I knew he’d be in shortly so I got up on the table for my spinal. I was chatting with the nurses when the doctor came in and said, “OK, where’s Dad?” They were bringing Hal in as the doctor made the incision and I had no idea!

There was A LOT of pushing and pulling and tugging and before I knew it I heard them say “There’s a leg!” And then I heard them say something about her doing a split. Her little hiney was out next and I heard the nurse say “Look at that cutie little booty… Daddy’s going to have a hard time keeping the boys away from that!” When her head came out I heard them say “Cord times 1…” and I *think* I heard “Cord times 2”. It must not have been tight though because she had great color and they didn’t say anything to me about it specifically. She didn’t cry right away but as soon as they got her mouth suctioned out she started waling. My eyes starting welling up I was so happy but I kept myself from bawling because I wanted to see her. I didn’t want my eyes to get blurry! It was 10:29pm on September 15th when Halle Grace made her grand debut. She weighed 7lbs 3.6 oz and she was 20 inches long. Being breech, her neck was bent to the left and up under my right rib most of the time so she has what is called torticollis. She favors the left side with her neck but it has already improved since last week. We have to do some stretches with her and she may need physical therapy to help correct it. Other than that she is healthy!

I looked over and saw them doing her footprints and then Hal brought her over to me and laid her on my chest. She put her face to mine and Hal and I shared the most precious time together with our miracle while the nurse took pictures. I was shivering and shaking from the medicine they had given me but I was taking everything in. She was so alert and she just looked into my eyes for the longest time. She knew I was her Mommy. When it was time for her to go to the nursery and get her bath and be checked out more thoroughly, Hal went with her. We had decided in the beginning that he would go with her and not leave her side. I went to recovery for an hour and a half and when I got to my room I think it was about 12:30. It was then I got to hold our girl for the first time. I fed her shortly after that and she latched on like a Champ! After that we cuddled, and that’s pretty much what life has been like the last week. Eat, sleep, messy diaper, cuddle. She is a cuddlebug and we love to just snuggle her and kiss her and talk to her while she just stares at us and smiles and coos.

Today is the 23rd and Halle’s original due date. We can’t believe she is already a week old! Words cannot express how thankful we are that this child we have prayed for is finally here and healthy. God is so good and faithful. The wait was definitely worth it.

5 comments:

  1. aw...what a beautiful family! i'm soooo happy for yall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok.. you've got me crying now. You'll always cherish the moment you first seen her :) I'm so happy for you guys. Congrats again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! They are DEFINITELY worth the wait :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is beautiful and you look amazing for having just had a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaaaannd . . . I'm crying. I have so many words that I have no words. Thanks for having Lauren call me with updates. I think your first trip needs to be to Dallas. Definitely Big D.

    ReplyDelete